Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Oleo

One of the web sites that I check in with nearly every day has a holiday recipe swap that I'm participating in. It's a great site full of crafty goodness. http://www.voy.com/100606/ The recipe is an oldie but a goodie. When I looked it up in my(well, I swiped it from my Mom) circa 1975 church cookbook, I had a laugh to see the "1 stick oleo" ingredient. I'm pretty sure there's a large segment of the population that has no idea what the heck oleo is. When my sibs and me were kids we made these cookies all the time. When I made them for my own kids they immediately informed me that they look like cow pies-didn't stop them from eating them-so now they're cow pie cookies. Enjoy!
No Bake Chocolate Cookies

2 cups sugar ½ cup milk

6T cocoa powder (not drink mix) 1t vanilla

1 stick (1/2 cup) oleo margarine 1 cup flaked coconut

3 cups oatmeal (quick OR old fashioned)

½ cup chopped nuts (optional)

Melt oleo in large saucepan, add sugar, cocoa & milk and bring to a full boil for 2 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat, add vanilla, coconut, nuts & oatmeal, stir thoroughly. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper or foil and let cool. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

No comments: