Pages

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Ancient Traditions....or not so ancient

SO for as long as I can remember, my mom's side of the family has gathered on Christmas Eve to eat chili, exchange gifts, sing Christmas carols, read the Christmas Story  and sing  Happy Birthday to Jesus.
Jesus birthday cake is usually an angel food cake, and it's a big deal to have the RIGHT candle for the center. My cousin Robin is the designated keeper of the candle.
Some years there's a crowd, there are 12 of us cousins so usually a few of us are able to make it. Sometimes some of our kids make it and sometimes it's just me & my cousin Robin along with our parents. Yeah, I know, lame, huh. But that's what makes it a tradition, right? You do it even if it's only one or two or three there. Grandma & Grandpa would be proud of us!
 On the way home I snapped this shot in Marshalltown, Iowa. It's Santa and his sleigh crossing above the street at the old Fisher plant on Center Street. As long as I can remember it's been there every Christmas...see that's a tradition. I can remember riding in the back seat of the car and looking out the back window to get a better look at Santa. Thank You whoever at Fisher's makes Santa & his sleigh appear every year.
And here's my traditional tree this year, all red and white and very traditional this year.
Our red angel is standing guard under the tree this year.
And a new tradition this year, I added a dog to the nativity set. This is a darn cute dog too! Don't you think there should be a dog? Maybe a cat or two, some chickens, and a horse too? Yeah, I do think so, hopefully I can find another animal in a pretty good scale size. I saw an alpaca at the store........





No comments: