Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Our State Fair is a Great State Fair

Don't Miss It Don't even be Late!
I wasn't late, I went on the 1st day! I've been to the Iowa State Fair lots of times, but always with kids or Hubs or someone else. Not this year! I had a wonderful day all to myself at the fair!! It was Awesome!

 
The grand concourse wasn't very busy when I arrived at about 10am. So I stopped off at the varied industries building-Let's see what they have this year!
 Ooo, the Brother sewing machine folks, home siding, home windows, home gutter covers, home roofing, home basement sealing, home remodeling...Ok every thing you could want for the home is on display!
 Look at the Tupperware booth-WOW-they are swamped!
 Here's the cookware Hubs bought at a yard sale!LOL! For a lot less than the "Fair Price"
 Oh I almost forgot, Hot tubs for your home, bathroom remodels for your home, beds, lots of beds....
 Every college in the state and then some.....
 Beds, lots of beds...I laughed at this guy texting in bed!!
 Oh then upstairs to the Textiles!! Oh boy!!
 Quilts, quilts and more quilts...




 It seemed like there were more quilts than ever before!

 And the State Fair Sew In! I sewed! They have strip quilts going to Children's hospitals and I sewed on one. See if I had folks along with me, I never would have been able to sit and sew for an hour or so. It was such fun, chatting with the other sewers and sewing at the fair!
 These are the award winning quilts
 So many different awards...I can't imagine how they decide the best out of all the beauties here!
 So onward I go....Oh farm equipment.....
 Campers and motor homes....
 Yard equipment.....It wouldn't be a fair with out livestock...
 Horses-these are 5th and 6th graders in the Western Pleasure class.  They're so cute! And this arena is really a beautiful building!
 Here's  one of the good old buildings...I do love the old fair buildings architecture.
 
Sheep....
 pigs...
 cows,
 more cows-look they have names.....Junie, Roz, Pippa, Phoenix...
 and shopping at the fair is always fun, boots, hats, saddles, shirts, you name it, you can get it!
 Including Iowa brewed Craft beers!
 Inside here...the Public Entrance...
 Cow showing!
 Very nice job by these kids too. The judge has a microphone and you can listen to his comments, it's pretty interesting.
 Moving along on to produce.....
 and you think you've seen it all on a stick? The Egg producers were giving away hard boiled eggs on a stick...this little kid wasn't too interested in an egg on a stick.
 The butter cow and butter Monopoly guy, what's his name, Moneybags?   wait let me google...Rich Uncle Penny-bags!

Moving on-at my own pace...LOL!
 Had to visit the old machinery.....
 And visit the antique vendors in the historic barn.  Love the windows and the wood of this big old barn...

 ooo, look green glass....at "Fair Prices" though

 the blacksmith is busy....
 lots of junk to look at ....
 love those windows above the potters booth....
 Time for lunch...wood fired Pizza for me!
 Yum, I had Iowa made Ginger Ale from Top of the Vine along with a pretty good pizza. Top of the Vine offers craft beers and this year at the fair they are offering Craft Sodas too! YAY!!! It was delicious-and only $3
 I'm riding the sky Glider down the hill!




 Love the aerial view of the fair!
I also stopped by the Paul R. Knapp Animal learning center..what a nice big cool building! Lots going on here with most of it geared to kids learning about animals..Always a good thing....Goats!

 And I strolled along the Midway...begging kids and begging carnies..lol!!



 Stopped by the displays under the grandstand-one whole side of the building was dedicated to law enforcement and other folks who wear uniforms to preform their civil jobs.....
 Almost time to go....Love the Earl May sheep...
 Had to pick up a turkey leg to take home for Hubs....
 And headed for the parking lot....
 Smart cars.....
I gotta say I had a great day at the fair! If you haven't gone yet, Don't Miss It Don't even be late!!

No comments: