Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Mom's Hospital Stay

So, I was all set to post about the fun I had in Minneapolis last weekend, but then my Mom was hospitalized. She goes home today, but I learned a lot of things about what happened to her. She had a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). This infection caused her to have stroke & dementia like symptoms. I NEVER would have guessed that a UTI could affect a person's behavior! What's the connection there? Well apparently no one knows, but it is a real thing. The National Institute of health says this....

UTIs in the elderly are often mistaken as the early stages of dementia or Alzheimer's because symptoms include:
  • Confusion, or delirium-like state.
  • Agitation.
  • Hallucinations.
  • Other behavioral changes.
  • Poor motor skills or dizziness.
  • Falling.
My Mom was completely unaware of anything, she couldn't walk, talk or follow directions, she was just a rag doll. 24 hours and a lot of IV antibiotics later she is almost 100% normal.  I think folks need to be aware of this issue with older ladies. So That's why I am mentioning it here.
She got these lovely flowers from my bother and his family, and now she can appreciate them!

No comments: