Pages

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Antiques Roadshow St Louis

So awhile back-like February, I applied for tickets to go to Antiques Roadshow. They had stops this year in Milwaukee and in St Louis, I couldn't decide which one to apply for, but went with STL. It's a random drawing, so I wasn't too optimistic. But whatdoyaknow? I got tickets!
The way it works it is, the Roadshow volunteers line up everyone and are filed into the proper assigned lines based on your ticket time. You're allowed to bring two items to be appraised. I read the on line directions carefully, they tell you things to NOT bring. They take a look at what you are bringing and assign you to the group for your item. Like glassware, paintings, militaria, toys, and such. We lucked out and had two textiles and two folk art, meaning we would only need to wait in two appraisal lines instead of 3 or 4.  Hubs took his favorite art. This table that he had made, features a carving by my BIL Steven Kelsey on a tree.
The last time I went to one of these, was with DD in Chicago-the lines were awful that time. The lines here were not too awful, but we chatted with people in our textile line that had been in line for 2 hours for militaria, and we saw the lines for glassware and watches were crazy long next to us.

 We had only about 3 people in front of us for textiles and the same for folk art too! WOW! What a great thing! So the table....I was skeptical....I didn't know what they'd say about it....Ken Farmer(We've seen him quite a bit on the show!) was called to collaborate with our initial appraiser, Nancy Druckman. They loved the burls in the wood, they loved the color and the shape. they loved the carving, they just thought it was a wonderful piece. And a retail estimate of.......$500-$700!!!! WOW!!!
Our 2nd folk art item was this set of bookends. Mom was pretty sure they were brought back from Europe when Grampa & Gramma went there in the 60's. And she was RIGHT!! Appraiser Nancy, said she felt these were created for the tourist market, likely in the northern parts of Europe and even though they aren't REALLY old, they still would be valued at $100-$200!! YAY!!!
 Then we had our textile items. Up first was this quilt that I have from my Great Aunt Grace. It's a very unique pattern, I think and all hand sewn. And I like the orange fabric.
The appraiser was Katy Kane and she also thought it was a unique design-"the stars look like pants don't they?!"...yes they do! She said that quilts are not as pricy as they may have been in the past however this one with the few flaws (a small stain and a bite out of an edge) would go for about $150. YAY!!!

And the last item we had was this Hawaiian shirt that belonged to my Grampa. He and Gramma went to Hawaii in 1959 and this shirt returned with them. I've always loved the fabric and the bright colors so I was hopeful! Appraiser Katy said it was lovely and obviously for the tourist trade with the cruise ship motifs. Another appraiser agreed and said the buttons were correct too-real coconut shell or the like. They both agreed it is in excellent condition and said it would easily retail for $150-$300! WOW! I knew I loved this shirt!!

So that's how we came out at Antiques Roadshow. Best experience ever! There was a long line for the feedback booth and  Hubs wasn't in the mood to wait in another line, so off we went!
















No comments: