Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2026

HOT T Shirt Quilt

So, my cousin Kathy, in Florida, sent me a box of T shirts from her Dad, who passed away in 2018. They are very stylish shirts with most of them having designs by Guy Harvey. I had to google him. He's an artist, scientist and environmentalist who supports care of marine habitats. So a good guy.
SO I go the shirts ready to go while I was thinking about what pattern to go with. It takes a long time/lot of work to de-bone shirts and get them fused to lightweight interfacing. Iris helped. 

She was helping flatten them out.....anyways, I got some really nice interfacing off Amazon, here.
It is the perfect weight, and adheres really well. 
I got them all trimmed to 19" square. Most of them are in good shape, but I had one that needed some work, so I mended that one and moved on. 
Iris likes the pattern I chose-a shadow box design. I had a nice day shop hopping with my other cousin, Robin, we got all the fabrics I needed for this project and another project that is coming along too. 
I got it loaded on Freddie, that pretty blue backing was so smooth and nice to load. 
And I chose this design that looks kind of ocean-ie to me anyways. It's actually tribal something or other, but by the time I got done playing around it's more ocean then anything I think!
I struggled with Freddie a little bit, but changed the needle to a bigger one and gave it a tiny turn to the left and it looks pretty good. 
I keep seeing this little thread pull at the points of the design, but I hope it will relax after a nice washing.
All done! Off we go for a trim and binding.
The back is pretty!

And the front is pretty too!
I like the shadow box effect. THe dark fabric is Licorice from Confetti Cottons. The blue map-like print is from Riley Blake's line called National Parks-topographic blue.
On the porch it does look good! It's around 90degrees today, so the sun was going down and it was cooling a tiny bit. 
I love the way it came out, I hope Kathy loves it. 
ANd with the pockets, I put together this pillow, and the back is the one duplicate t shirt she sent, I didn't want to use it in the quilt, because it's the same picture. 
And lookie at those points after a quick wash-almost perfect! Just as I hoped! 
I always learn a few new things with every quilt I make, and this one was a good learning-it's been awhile since I made a t shirt quilt. And this was a first for Freddie. I gotta remember that bigger needle helped a lot to eliminate the broken threads issue I was having.

No comments: