Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2024

A Dog's Life Quilt

So, while I was out shop hopping a little while back, I bought this kit from Little Red Hen Quilt Shop over in Muscatine IA.  Here's a LINK, It's a One Sister Designs which-who knew-is the crazy Buggy barn group from back in the day! Janet Rae Nesbitt. Just look at that pile of paper parts!

 Anyways, I had no idea what I was in for! 
There's a method to her designs that involves stacking fabrics and tracing patterns and all kinds of stuff that I really am not willing to do. So I kind of followed her idea and it came out fine I think.
The kit I bought included little buttons for the dog eyes, and I was not thinking at all and sewed them on before I put the top on the long arm machine!
I was careful not to run over a button!
This kit also had a lot of woven plaid homespun type of fabric, which I seem to always have a little trouble keeping straight. But I persevered!

I had to applique the balls around the outer border-not my favorite thing to do-but they came out pretty cute. I used a decorative stitch on my machine to make the stitching lines on each ball!
And here's grunge backing. This is a smaller quilt, about 42"X47" or so. So it will be a wall hanging I guess. 
I used Freddie to free motion quilt the whole thing, I attempted to make use of different patterns in different areas and it was another learning experience! I CAN MEANDER LIKE NO BODY'S BUSINESS, THE OTHER STITCHES AREN'T TOO BAD, IT'S JUST DECIDING WHAT TO DO IN EACH AREA! Bob just stepped on my keyboard........
Lesson learned. I won't be getting any more of these kinds of kits! I'm not made to be doing primitive crazy stacking, kind of paper parts quilts. 

No comments: